Welcome to the third stop on the Fantastic Fives tour! I can't believe how many amazing and wonderful blogs are turning 5 this year, and I am beyond honored to be in such incredible company!
You can follow along the list of blogs by checking out the schedule at the bottom of the post. You will also find a short interview with me, all about the blog and a giveaway to help celebrate!! Thanks for stopping in today!
Hey, I'm Amber!
Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Well, my name is Amber and I live in Minnesota with my wonderful family. I am 36 years old, but keep that between us, alright? I blog, promote and design for authors full time, something I am able to do with both my kids in school and being a stay-at-home-mom. I also dabble in writing and am currently knee deep in my fourth year of NaNoWriMo.
How did you get started blogging?
Quite by accident, believe it or not. I was challenged to read 104 books one year and wanted a more personalized way to track things than just Goodreads (which I had also just found about this time) I wasn't new to blogging, I had run one in the years before about planning my wedding and one for our family for a short time as well. Color me surprised when I found a whole awesome community of people who loved the same thing I did and ALSO had blogs about it. Best. Day. Ever.
How did you pick the name for your blog?
Originally I had a totally different name, but when I realized people we stopping in to the blog and (gasp!) actually reading what I wrote, I needed something that fit a little better. After 2 weeks of annoying the crud out of my friends for ideas, making lists of possible new names, cross checking to see if the URL was available and coming up empty each time, Me, My Shelf and I just popped into my head! All that strain and it just appeared like magic in my brain! As luck would have it the URL became available only a few days prior. It belonged to a defunct knitting site previously…oh and the name of my blog before was The 104 in 365 (speak the individual numbers for full effect..one…oh…four….)
If you could go back in time and tell your newbie blogger self 1 thing what would it be?
You're going to need more bookcases. The amount of books you will buy, win and be gifted will soon take over.
What have you learned in your 5 years of blogging?
Blogging is not as easy as it looks. Making sure to follow through with the things you agree to, scheduling, balancing life with your blog – it can run you down but it will always be worth it.
What was the first ARC or book you ever received from a publisher?
My first digital ARC was A TOUCH MORTAL by Leah Clifford.
My first physical ARC was DIE FOR ME by Amy Plum. I still have it, and I will always have it.
When you’re not reading or blogging, what can we find you doing?
My hobbies include concerts, collecting Funko Pop Action Figures, convincing my husband we need to go back to Disney World (HUGE Disney family over here) and watching one of my favorite shows: Dr. Who, Supernatural, Law & Order SVU, Criminal Minds, The Walking Dead and Teen Wolf.
Five Favorite Books
This list is ever changing…..here's where it stands right now, in no particular order:
- Daughters Unto Devils by Amy Lukavics
- Confess by Colleen Hoover
- Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
- Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
- Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas
Five Favorite Book Boyfriends
- Az from A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford
- Any main guy Colleen Hoover has ever written. Or will write. Or just thinks about writing.
- Dmitri from Vampire Academy (from the books, not the movie. That's not what he looks like to me at all!)
- Travis Maddox from Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire.
- Jared Lynburn from Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
Five Favorite Book Quotes
I have a rather eclectic collection of favorite quotes…
- "It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart." Suzanne Collins – Mockingjay
- "I love you as certain dark things are loved, secretly, between the shadow and the soul." Stephanie Perkins – Anna And The French Kiss
- "The water's not even blue, jackass." – A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford
- "Your soul is like the souls of a thousand monkeys on crack, all smushed together." Unspoken by Sarah Reese Brennan
- "Books are a uniquely portable magic." – Stephen King
Five Blogging Tips For New Bloggers
- ARCs are an earned privilege, not a guarantee because you blog.
- Content every day! Even if it's simple and small. Utilize memes! It doesn't always have to be a review! New content drives traffic, traffic pushes numbers and your numbers are what publishers look at.
- It's okay to say "No". Every blogger at some point has become overwhelmed with the level or requests coming in. It's okay to say no, to take only what you really want to get behind. It's okay. It is.
- Social Media – use it. Twitter is a wonderful resource and a great place to meet other bloggers like you. Use it. Use it a lot.
- Go to book events. At your local book stores, in other states if you have the means, get your face out there and meet people, authors and readers.
Five Blogs You Want The World To Know About
- Fictitious Delicious http://www.fictitiousdelicious.com/
- A Leisure Moment http://www.aleisuremoment.com/
- Fire & Ice Reads http://fireandicereads.com/
- Gone With The Words http://gonewiththewords.com/
- Every single blog on the schedule below! (I cheated…I know)
My official blog-a-versary isn't until December 30th, but let's celebrate now!!
One winner will get a $10.00 Amazon Gift Card
Fantastic Fives Schedule
Check out all the other blogs who turned (or will turn) five in 2015!
November 8 Books Etc.
November 9 Fiktshun
November 10 Two Chicks On Books
November 11 Me, My Shelf and I
November 12 Bewitched Bookworms
November 13 Novel Novice
November 14 Book Angel Booktopia
November 15 Maer Wilson
November 16 Taking It One Book At A Time
November 17 YA Book Shelf
November 18 Musings of a YA Reader
November 19 Bookish Lifestyle
November 20 Once Upon A Twilight
November 22 Bookaholics Anonymous